Team ES Singapore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team ES Singapore

Honda Civic 7th Generation

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Turtle Dreams

Go down 
+4
sf
Rookie
Airlesy
mcdss
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male
Number of posts : 979
Registration date : 2006-10-17

My Garage
Ride: Honda Civic 2004 ES5(M)
Image!: Sleeper...
My Satisfaction Level:
Turtle Dreams Left_bar_bleue85/100Turtle Dreams Empty_bar_bleue  (85/100)

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:49

test

Last edited by on Sat Oct 28 2006, 15:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:52

Below is my blog entry for the recent Sepang Adventure - Read it as one big post broken into many posts to let you digest slowly... and the 'quote' button when pressed, won't carry 5 pages of text...

I hope others would follow to blog some of thier cars' interesting outings and experiences for others to know, share info and insights.

Cheers!

Last edited by on Sat Oct 28 2006, 15:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:53

My Turtle was validated on Track recently.

Two ES5(M) drove up to Sepang and had fun on an Open Track Day. We crossed the border at 8.30 am and reached Sepang F1 Circuit at 1.30 pm. Track opened to cars at around 2 pm and closed at 6.00 pm. We left around 7 pm after taking a shower and cleaning up the cars…

Sepang was interesting as it had lots of corners and short straights, and it was a very satisfying experience for me and my Turtle…
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:54

The drive up took around 4 hours… hahaha only because we drove at the speed limit of 110kmh… it saved us 2 highway patrol/robbery * (you chose) stops/cameras … We also stopped for a nice lunch to rest the cars and drivers a bit. Although the other ES5 had a co-driver while my ‘sifu’ slept on the way up… he cannot stand to drive at 110 for fear of falling asleep at the wheel…

My co-driver was sleeping too… at home… so I went up solo… drive up, track, drive back down… all on the same day. It was not as tiring as I tot it would be. Having a nice ICE and good music helped… not to mention a good breakfast, lots of coffee, and candy bars hahahaha…
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:56

Ok… on the track, preparations on site included lowering tyre pressures to 190 in front and 170 at the back. This is to compensate for the high heat and expansion of air inside. Normal pressure is around 205-230 kg/m.

Hahaha… and my Turtle was totally not prepped for track la… it went in as it is… and I discovered that I was not even driving at the car’s limit in its current trim…

I had no coilovers… only aftermarket progressive springs on stock shocks! I had only one tower strut bar in front and nothing at the rear.

My brakes, were preludes… albeit with dot4/600 brake fluid, 500 degree pads and upsided 282 rotors and callipers with braided steel hoses.

My tyres were second hand G3s… one even had a patch for a nail intrusion…

My ICE was not removed, and weighs a 50 kg easily. Even my change of clothes bag was on the rear floor… and spare tyre and tools not removed for track!
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:57

With such a load in the car, I went onto the track with my ‘sifu’ beside me… his only question was ‘have you secured everything that can fly when you ebrake?’ I said yes, and he said ‘ok let’s go…’ hahaha… helmets on, we went out.

Sifu was good, telling me which gear for which corner, and when to hit the brakes… as I near the corner. I just needed to concentrate on negotiating the corner at the recommended gear… after 2 rounds, I was doing faster and turning harder… actually I turned quite hard already on the first corners hahaha… and felt the car’s suspension working hard, but not at their limit… so tyres, suspension and brakes held up for 3 laps no problem…

8)
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:58

Water and oil temp also held up well. Water was going up to around 90degrees but cooled a bit as we hit the straights… not that 900m is a long straight when you are accelerating at full throttle 3rd tru 5th gears…

Here is when you learn that heeling and toeing is important to downshift from high speeds… your rpm counter will dance and car will jerk… and most importantly you hit your clutch a little harder…but all held together quite well. The ES is a great car to learn to play here…

Then I parked my car at the pits – to rest the car and enjoy the adrenaline high… I was reminded to leave the handbrakes down… as engaging them after a few rounds of track would melt them as they contact hot hubs for long time… so my car no put brakes at rest hahaha… just wheel chocks

Laughing
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 12:59

Got invited to sit in ‘sifu’’s ES5… and he went 3 rounds with me sitting beside him… gee… I was very slow that last 3 laps… hahahaha… learnt more to know when he put on the throttle, when he brakes, and how well the ES really can do in the corners… now really must learn to heel and toe properly leow… he does it so well.

When I was let off after 3 laps, my adrenaline was even higher than before… as he took his co-driver out for a few more laps… damn, his brakes and tyres really really can perform… 800 degree pads… and super premium ‘track’ ready street tyres… damn…

:shock:
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 13:00

My next 3 laps after an hour of cool down for my car was with sifu’s co-driver. He did not know the track well, so I just ask him to help me look forward to the upcoming corners – I was still not too familiar with the track, having only had 3 rounds around it… hahaha… but when I hit the tracks, the turns come more familiar leow… and some of the turns, I really thought I was near the car’s limit…but, the rear did not spin out, nor did I lose any traction… and accelerating out of the corners, the car gamely put out usable power that even ‘impressed’ my co-driver… who tot that my tyres sure die in some corners, but did not…

Right up to the 6th lap. The steering wobbled whenever I braked hard midway tru the lap… and that was it… I had hit the 500 degree limit on the pads… and they now start to fade. The kiasoo/kiasi me slowed down in the remaining few corners and headed back to the pits…

:no:
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 13:01

On inspection, my tyres have also gone super sticky… ‘melting’ as sifu calls it. And some chunks of it was ‘peeling’ off a little bit… *Afternote, after cooldown and inspecting it today, no more such thing.. tyres look normal, and can go another 20,000 km. Rain grooves still got 5mm at last check/rotation.*

So street tyres driven at speeds at Sepang, no worries… just go till they are near the limit… it won’t eat them. Unlike PG… I heard that road is much rougher. Sepang is world class race track, and the roads on sepang are class 1. super smooth and good for the tyres to grip.

Whoever said they needed coilovers probably won’t be driving them to the limit like ‘sifu’ does… and for me, I would, when my stock shocks expire, change to premium shocks, or go for basic coilovers so I can adjust height for street vs track use. There is no need to go for ‘best’ as I never go near there anyway. But I’d not go for things that cannot be ‘rebuilt/repaired’ as all suspensions die in 2 to 3 years – especially the shock absorber part be in coilover or stand alone shocks. Time to scout for coilovers that can be rebuilt at a reasonable price… den I save on replacements in a few years. Pity the European coils are difficult to repair… else I will get my favourite ones… hahaha…homework… homework… or should I just get stock shocks to replace since they work so well with my aftermarket springs… wa… good price to replace leh… no heart pain…

:idea:

Last edited by on Sat Oct 28 2006, 13:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 13:02

So my Turtle has had enough fun after 6 laps… tyres and brake pads near their limit leow (time to get higher spec tyres/pads) sifu went on to drive 16 laps total before he had any signs of brake fade… his were 800 degree pads… and his tyres… after 16 laps looked better than mine… shucks… that’s the difference between $120 tyres and $210 tyres hahaha… and he drives much harder, brakes much harder then I do… what can I say…

But mine is not a sad story…

There was this WRX STI with a S203 badge on the front grill parked with us in the same paddock. When he was warming down he open his bonnet… see until saliva drip dry… but on his second ‘warm down’ engine oil was dripping from his engine to the floor… whole puddle of nice clean golden engine oil… something seriously wrong leow… no more track for him… he told us his turbo also got something wrong as well… hmmm…

:roll:
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 13:05

Time stands still when you drive on track. But when you wait for sifu to go one lap it seemed like ‘forever’ as faster cars keep going tru… I can only imagine how much slower my Turtle was running… but when running, a while only one lap leow… go figure… and never stop smiling in my mind… so much fun…

:afro:
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 13:06

Got to see a race spec Lambo that day… the V12 scream is exactly like a F1 car… yes – scream… not roar… all other cars roar… the V12 engine screams… you have to hear it to appreciate how loud and how sharp it is… and downshifting? Wah… and braking? PRO la… paddle shift leh… no need to clutch… and it has auto blipping when downshifting… fugging beautiful to hear lor… everybody give way to that car man… the sound of it approaching is enough to make way for him…

Haha… other cars on track? Toyota Starlet… Mitsu Colt/Proton Satira, Corolla G9, of course you have your usual track monsters, the S15, Integras, WRXs, DC2s, lots of EGs and EKs, Protons, Lotus Elise and other Lotus track cars… even a BMW M3 (which got tia by the Integras) and a Mercedes supercharged sports coupe…. Also got Nissan Sunnys there too and one Toyota station wagon on the track… damn…… and only 2 Honda ES5 Civics… we gotta have a bigger presence there man… I will try my best to help more ES drivers go out to track to play.

Exclamation
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 13:07

Better still. I see people my age having fun on the old Mitsu Lancer (the EvoIII model type – but not Evo la)… and of course, lots of younger race drivers.

Hahaha… even got people come and pose beside my Turtle to take pictures… no less!!! With the hood up… they all looked at the filter and strut bar… at least got something for them to see… sifu’s car totally stock engine bay…. Most preferred to look at the slower Turtle… bling leow… Must be they take picture to prove that such a slow car would dare to be at the tracks hahahaha…

So after the tracks closed at 6 pm, we went to take a shower and clean up our cars and re-inflate our tyres to road going pressures. And I tested the brakes. They had cooled down, and they function perfectly. I tested an E brake… and my sunglasses almost flew off my face… hahahaha… great brake pads and great brakes!
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 13:08

We left Sepang by 7 to rush down to meet other brudders on the NS highway for dinner…. But that is another story.

Comments are welcome regarding this blog, but my personal request is to please NOT use the “Quote” button as it will take long long time to scroll down so much text… hahahah…

I am going to organise a mainly Civic ES track day, or if cannot hit the numbers do a group drive up on open track days. Pls come up to join us on the track. It will prove most fun and enlightening to all driving enthusiasts.
Back to top Go down
Airlesy
Idling
Idling
Airlesy

Male
Number of posts : 273

My Garage
Ride: FD2R
Image!:
My Satisfaction Level:
Turtle Dreams Left_bar_bleue0/0Turtle Dreams Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28 2006, 21:26

well done!! i enjoy reading. sounds so much fun. unless my dad's car is my car, i will sure go to track too. if not, i can onli be sitting at the left or play grand turismo 4 at home liao,other than tat, 'reservoir track' liao..haha
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2006, 13:27

time to ask him to either buy you a new car... or transfer this one to you lor... and HE get a new car...

and you pay for the rest of the installments if any lor... den come up and play...

I'm sure he will consider one la... I know I would if my kid were to ask... you working leow right? hahaha can earn to keep your own car leow la.
Back to top Go down
Rookie
2000 RPM
2000 RPM
Rookie

Male
Number of posts : 1648

My Garage
Ride: Dub Streetstarr Civic
Image!: Bling Ride!
My Satisfaction Level:
Turtle Dreams Left_bar_bleue1000000/1000000Turtle Dreams Empty_bar_bleue  (1000000/1000000)

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29 2006, 22:51

bravlo bro for leading the pack to "blog" first.

We should have more of such reference and thoughtful materials apart from the usual smileys and hi-byes Very Happy

Cheers! and keep those blogs coming! lol!
Back to top Go down
Airlesy
Idling
Idling
Airlesy

Male
Number of posts : 273

My Garage
Ride: FD2R
Image!:
My Satisfaction Level:
Turtle Dreams Left_bar_bleue0/0Turtle Dreams Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30 2006, 13:19

mcdss wrote:
time to ask him to either buy you a new car... or transfer this one to you lor... and HE get a new car...

and you pay for the rest of the installments if any lor... den come up and play...

I'm sure he will consider one la... I know I would if my kid were to ask... you working leow right? hahaha can earn to keep your own car leow la.

but my basic pay is not much, so still cant afford 1. maybe a super lok kok car for him bah, honda GL ..haha.

for him to buy new car?? impossible, cant afford another 1.
Back to top Go down
sf
Idling
Idling
sf

Number of posts : 52

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30 2006, 15:39

very, very nice report. i just wonder how u remember the details.... voice recorder? jotterbook? or does time go slo mo
when we drive fast? thanks for the nice work.
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30 2006, 15:44

sf wrote:
very, very nice report. i just wonder how u remember the details.... voice recorder? jotterbook? or does time go slo mo
when we drive fast? thanks for the nice work.

I used to blog at another place. so I'm not new to blogging. as to details, this incident has deeply etched itself into my memory, so sharing it is not difficult.

in any case, you can compartmentalise it quite easily. i.e. timeline of things happening, facts on engine mods/prep for track, learning points, and feelings ... not difficult, if you try.

thanks for reading my long story. most people here like to read short and sharp... i find that a little too dilute/concentrated for my liking if sharing an incident for others' benefit. and so i put in the details.

not to glorify my experience, but to share it so more bros/sis who have wish to go, but have reservations can cast off their doubts, or ask me more specific questions to address their concerns before joining in for the fun.

i hope to meet you and see you come up to track next round, even if as a passenger first...
Back to top Go down
ahren
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
ahren

Male
Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2006-10-20

My Garage
Ride: eg. Honda Civic (Year or chasis code)
My Satisfaction Level:
Turtle Dreams Left_bar_bleue88888888/100000000Turtle Dreams Empty_bar_bleue  (88888888/100000000)

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30 2006, 16:58

Well written... must have been a wonderful experience...
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30 2006, 17:56

bro ahren

Thanks for reading.

So if we are going up as a group would you join in if your schedule permits?
Back to top Go down
eeee78
2000 RPM
2000 RPM

Male
Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2006-10-18

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30 2006, 18:11

Whose the Sifu?
Back to top Go down
eeee78
2000 RPM
2000 RPM

Male
Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2006-10-18

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30 2006, 18:14

Airlesy wrote:
mcdss wrote:

but my basic pay is not much, so still cant afford 1. maybe a super lok kok car for him bah, honda GL ..haha.

for him to buy new car?? impossible, cant afford another 1.

I started my car ownership with a 1978 Daihatsu Charade 1.0 when I was 19 and still in Poly (the car is older than me lor)

The car cost me $3.5K with 1 year 3mths of COE left
It din failed me during my ownership with it
It left me a wonderful memory!

Starting with a GL (EF Civic) is not so bad
Get the Civic Si 1.6 (with all round disc brakes)
The ES might have a hard time catching up! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Turtle Dreams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Turtle Dreams   Turtle Dreams Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Turtle Dreams
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next