Team ES Singapore
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team ES Singapore

Honda Civic 7th Generation

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

FR on various RON grades of petrol

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Rookie
2000 RPM
2000 RPM
Rookie

Male
Number of posts : 1648
Registration date : 2006-10-17

My Garage
Ride: Dub Streetstarr Civic
Image!: Bling Ride!
My Satisfaction Level:
FR on various RON grades of petrol Left_bar_bleue1000000/1000000FR on various RON grades of petrol Empty_bar_bleue  (1000000/1000000)

FR on various RON grades of petrol Empty
PostSubject: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeTue Nov 07 2006, 10:07

To those non believer of different RON grade is indeed different. Please hear me out.

With the recent big discount on petrol, there is a percieved savings on petrol so I pumped platinum grade for a bout a month without changing grades and brand - i pump Caltex Platinum.

The car seem to become more and more powerful (although not a sudden jump) over this period. For the first week, the engine sound seem to be more bassy and purr in a very uniform sound. Second pump onward, the trottle became more responsive and a sligh tap can surge the ride forward. This was verified by another dirver who test drove my ride during this period. But last week when I switch to 98 for a change, i was shocked that the ride has very obviously lose power!

It seems logical.

The ECU needs time to adjust, with or wothout VAFC. So the first tank with higher octane sees the ride with a nicer sound. the next tank of platinum makes the ECU completes the new learnings and so i felt the increase in power. Subsequent tanks made me accustom to the new responsiveness and so when eventually I changed back to RON 98, i felt the diff immediately.

So my conclusion is :
There's no point pumping higher grade "once in a while" if you do not want to continue to use it. the ECU will just keep adjusting itself with the varying A/F ratio.

There's nothing your VAFC can do as what goes in -what comes out. VAFC is not an alternative to better grade petrol.

Those that say they can't feel a diff is due to the effect of the petrol has not set in yet. It takes a second tank onwards to feel the difference.

Different RON grade DOES make a difference. and the difference in feel is obvious.

Platinum grade petrol can really enhance performance.
Back to top Go down
roychew14
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
roychew14

Male
Number of posts : 962

My Garage
Ride: Pre FL ES03
Image!:
My Satisfaction Level:
FR on various RON grades of petrol Left_bar_bleue0/100000000FR on various RON grades of petrol Empty_bar_bleue  (0/100000000)

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeTue Nov 07 2006, 10:27

best grade enhances performance... gives me higher milage too... so no diff... i can save a few bucks on a lower grade petrol but i lose out on milage lo
Back to top Go down
eeee78
2000 RPM
2000 RPM

Male
Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2006-10-18

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08 2006, 08:20

Used to pump Caltex 95 all the way since car is new
But with the recent petrol discount war
I pumped Caltex 98 for a few tankful
And indeed, the car feel more responsive!!!

Now switching back to Caltex 95, the car like not so shiok liao leh
Back to top Go down
Rookie
2000 RPM
2000 RPM
Rookie

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:
FR on various RON grades of petrol Left_bar_bleue1000000/1000000FR on various RON grades of petrol Empty_bar_bleue  (1000000/1000000)

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09 2006, 00:32

eeee78 wrote:

bro, just bear the pain and try platinum for 3 tanks. I guarantee that you will be addicted! king LAI!!!!!
Back to top Go down
eeee78
2000 RPM
2000 RPM

Male
Number of posts : 1054

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09 2006, 08:01

Rookie wrote:
eeee78 wrote:

bro, just bear the pain and try platinum for 3 tanks. I guarantee that you will be addicted! king LAI!!!!!
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Rookie
2000 RPM
2000 RPM
Rookie

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 09 2006, 09:45

eeee78 wrote:
Rookie wrote:
eeee78 wrote:

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Dun say I never say ok pig
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male
Number of posts : 979

My Garage
Ride: Honda Civic 2004 ES5(M)
Image!: Sleeper...
My Satisfaction Level:
FR on various RON grades of petrol Left_bar_bleue85/100FR on various RON grades of petrol Empty_bar_bleue  (85/100)

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeSat Nov 11 2006, 16:37

Caltex gold is 98 octane. Platinium is... walla... 98 octane!!!

what's the difference??

There is no 'higher' octane rating. so it's not a higher 'grade' (I read octane) petrol.

so what makes it special? it's the additive package that is added to the petrol that makes the difference.

just so you know what you are gaining from...

btw, anyone wants to buy racing fuel? it's 130 octanes... you car will BURST with power... available in Singapore... about $40 per litre I think... so one tank of 40 litres... only $1,600 dollars... after that can change engine leow... but the performance... you won't believe it lor... prolly can tia a normal Rex on normal 98 octane fuel... prolly...

In japan, their normal pump "high octane" fuel is 106 octane...

hahaha... come try...
Back to top Go down
Rookie
2000 RPM
2000 RPM
Rookie

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14 2006, 10:06

yes both may be 98, and the difference is in the additives. but if the additives work, why not. If they can make sugarcane work as a potent additive, I will add it into my ride too Very Happy

You have to try it to feel it. it's just different. but you got to clear/flush the car's system completely so minimum 2, best is 3rd tsnk. After that stick to the petrol and u see how u can tear other Es and still maintain good fuel economy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:
FR on various RON grades of petrol Left_bar_bleue85/100FR on various RON grades of petrol Empty_bar_bleue  (85/100)

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeWed Nov 15 2006, 15:53

haha... i believe you already no need to try...

no need to convince me lor...

Sleep
Back to top Go down
vic000
Idling
Idling

Number of posts : 50

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16 2006, 01:45

mcdss wrote:
Caltex gold is 98 octane. Platinium is... walla... 98 octane!!!

what's the difference??

There is no 'higher' octane rating. so it's not a higher 'grade' (I read octane) petrol.

so what makes it special? it's the additive package that is added to the petrol that makes the difference.

just so you know what you are gaining from...

btw, anyone wants to buy racing fuel? it's 130 octanes... you car will BURST with power... available in Singapore... about $40 per litre I think... so one tank of 40 litres... only $1,600 dollars... after that can change engine leow... but the performance... you won't believe it lor... prolly can tia a normal Rex on normal 98 octane fuel... prolly...

hahaha... come try...

bro, the higher octane level means the petrol prevent pre-ignite better than lower octane during extreme hot condition. and the engine need to be tuned to adapt to it.
so locally, trackies just mix some high octane fuel with normal one, to prevent detonation during track.

with high octane fuel, u can increase the compression ratio without pre-ignite, and also advance ignitiong timing without ignite. that's why high boost engines with more advance timing, they making better power with high oct fuel. this is also the reason why ppl always talking about turbo cars need to retard timing, or change to high comp piston, u need to retard timing else engine will ping. but the engine is not making power from burning high oct fuel.

dun believe? i still left 10L racing fuel at ah heng, use it for dyno, u get 5 more horse, i buy u big dinner, if not, buy me 20L racing fuel:D
Back to top Go down
vic000
Idling
Idling

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16 2006, 01:52

Rookie wrote:
To those non believer of different RON grade is indeed different. Please hear me out.

With the recent big discount on petrol, there is a percieved savings on petrol so I pumped platinum grade for a bout a month without changing grades and brand - i pump Caltex Platinum.

The car seem to become more and more powerful (although not a sudden jump) over this period. For the first week, the engine sound seem to be more bassy and purr in a very uniform sound. Second pump onward, the trottle became more responsive and a sligh tap can surge the ride forward. This was verified by another dirver who test drove my ride during this period. But last week when I switch to 98 for a change, i was shocked that the ride has very obviously lose power!

It seems logical.

The ECU needs time to adjust, with or wothout VAFC. So the first tank with higher octane sees the ride with a nicer sound. the next tank of platinum makes the ECU completes the new learnings and so i felt the increase in power. Subsequent tanks made me accustom to the new responsiveness and so when eventually I changed back to RON 98, i felt the diff immediately.

So my conclusion is :
There's no point pumping higher grade "once in a while" if you do not want to continue to use it. the ECU will just keep adjusting itself with the varying A/F ratio.

There's nothing your VAFC can do as what goes in -what comes out. VAFC is not an alternative to better grade petrol.

Those that say they can't feel a diff is due to the effect of the petrol has not set in yet. It takes a second tank onwards to feel the difference.

Different RON grade DOES make a difference. and the difference in feel is obvious.

sometimes, thr RON value just for reference. but all the ppl around me are telling me caltex plat give better power. i want to try also, no $$Crying or Very sad

you are right, the ecu takes time to learn. the way ES civics ecu do is like:
during close loop, ECU will keep trying put timing advance as possible, but once the knock sensor detect detonation, the ecu will automatically retard timing 10-15 degrees. in another way, ur ecu are trying his best to provide u a more response drive, but the problem is u can never keep the best setting runing, it is change every seconds. this timing is not related to a/f ratio.
so when u using a higher oct fuel, ECU detected the detonation at higher advance degrees, so when it retard, 10-15 degrees, the average ignition timing is still higher than u runing on low oct fuel. u can fuel the power gain.

BUT you sure u felt it? ur butt is very sensitive;) roy or alvin might like it:twisted:
Back to top Go down
Rookie
2000 RPM
2000 RPM
Rookie

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16 2006, 11:01

vic000 wrote:
Rookie wrote:

It seems logical.

So my conclusion is :

sometimes, thr RON value just for reference. but all the ppl around me are telling me caltex plat give better power. i want to try also, no $$Crying or Very sad

during close loop, ECU will keep trying put timing advance as possible, but once the knock sensor detect detonation, the ecu will automatically retard timing 10-15 degrees. in another way, ur ecu are trying his best to provide u a more response drive, but the problem is u can never keep the best setting runing, it is change every seconds. this timing is not related to a/f ratio.
so when u using a higher oct fuel, ECU detected the detonation at higher advance degrees, so when it retard, 10-15 degrees, the average ignition timing is still higher than u runing on low oct fuel. u can fuel the power gain.

BUT you sure u felt it? ur butt is very sensitive;) roy or alvin might like it:twisted:

hahah bro, my not BBM Very Happy

anyways, it's not the butt, it's the foot too. you step, it reacts better.
Back to top Go down
vic000
Idling
Idling

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16 2006, 13:06

Rookie wrote:
vic000 wrote:
Rookie wrote:

It seems logical.

So my conclusion is :

hahah bro, my not BBM Very Happy

anyways, it's not the butt, it's the foot too. you step, it reacts better.

waiting for ur sponsor for a tank:D
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16 2006, 17:06

vic000 wrote:
[btw, anyone wants to buy racing fuel? it's 130 octanes... you car will BURST with power... available in Singapore... about $40 per litre I think... so one tank of 40 litres... only $1,600 dollars... after that can change engine leow... but the performance... you won't believe it lor... prolly can tia a normal Rex on normal 98 octane fuel... prolly...

hahaha... come try...

bro, the higher octane level means the petrol prevent pre-ignite better than lower octane during extreme hot condition. and the engine need to be tuned to adapt to it.
so locally, trackies just mix some high octane fuel with normal one, to prevent detonation during track.

with high octane fuel, u can increase the compression ratio without pre-ignite, and also advance ignitiong timing without ignite. that's why high boost engines with more advance timing, they making better power with high oct fuel. this is also the reason why ppl always talking about turbo cars need to retard timing, or change to high comp piston, u need to retard timing else engine will ping. but the engine is not making power from burning high oct fuel.

dun believe? i still left 10L racing fuel at ah heng, use it for dyno, u get 5 more horse, i buy u big dinner, if not, buy me 20L racing fuel:D[/quote]

sssshhhh... bro... I know la... need to re-adjust the ignition timing one...
but if you did not... there will be interesting things happen lor...

and I not talking about dyno bhp gains...

it's butt-dyno power gains... the car will FEEL very powderful...

but it would be nice to change the timing to run on racing fuel... the way the car makes the power will be much different. Yes same top bHP... but how it gets there... that's more important, and when the torque pulls more also...

so yes, you picha lobang... cannot 'just add the fuel' must tune a bit also...

Violent
The Turtle - MCDS
Back to top Go down
mcdss
1000 RPM
1000 RPM
mcdss

Male

My Garage
My Satisfaction Level:

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitimeThu Dec 07 2006, 16:08

Shell has a new VPower Racing Fuel out in Malaysia... anyone tried it?

seems nice...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FR on various RON grades of petrol   FR on various RON grades of petrol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FR on various RON grades of petrol
Page 1 of 1